York Evening Chess League 2016 AGM Agenda

and the Minutes from the 2015 AGM

 

 

 


YORK EVENING CHESS LEAGUE
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
TUESDAY 28Th JUNE 2016
YORK RI CLUB 7:30 PM

Agenda


1. Apologies for absence

2. Minutes of Last Meeting

3. Matters Arising

4. Officers’ Reports:
	Secretary
	Treasurer
	Junior Chess
	Chairman

5. Winners’ Awards:
	Evening League Division 1 – University First
	Evening League Division 2 –  RI Super Knights
	LTKO – Minster Inn 1
	Plate Competition – RI Cavaliers
	David Hardcastle Trophy – 
	John Morris Trophy –


6. Appointment of Officers:
	Chairman
	Vice–Chairman
	Treasurer
	League and Fixtures Secretary
	Junior Chess Organisers
	Newsletter Editor
	Additional Officers
 
7. Changes to the League Constitution and Rules

8. Entries for the 2016/17 League and Cup Competitions

9. Any Other Business

 

 

EVENING LEAGUE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
YORK RAILWAY INSTITUTE
TUESDAY 23 JUNE 2015

MINUTES


THOSE PRESENT
Paul Johnson, Stuart Acton, Adam Ismail, Steve Whitehead, Peter Cloudsdale, Barry Marshall, Joel Wagg, Ashley Clayton, Simon Dixon, Kevin L Holliday, Bob Maltby, Steve Jennings, Paul Masiak, Noel Stewart, Herbert Lockwood, Richard Allis, Howard Brears (apologies for late arrival).

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Neville Pearce, Paul Barber, Richard Hardy

2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
Peter Cloudsdale moved that the minutes of the 2014 AGM be approved, Bob Maltby seconded, and the meeting agreed.

3. MATTERS ARISING
There were no matters arising.

4. OFFICERS’ REPORTS
a. Secretary
Paul Johnson provided a full report on the 2014-15 season. The meeting was particularly asked to note the following:
A new secretary was required as Paul was standing down, although in order to assist a transition he is happy to assist the incoming secretary in the first year. The cooperation of teams and captains was essential to assist the secretary to do the best job for members - results sheets were all sent in promptly helping the secretary keep the league tables up to date, however, confirmation of one team exiting was not received until after the deadline and only just before the fixtures were to be sent out.
There were several matches involving the two University teams in Division 2 where the University teams did not turn out and the opposing teams did. If a team can not fulfil a fixture because of lack of players then the team captain MUST inform the opposing team captain at least 2 days in advance so the opposing team can be awarded a 6-0 win by default and their players do not turn out for nothing. If a team can only field 4 or 5 players, again the opposing captain should be similarly informed so a default game victory can be awarded and players not turn out for nothing. As this is not the first season teams have defaulted like this, a motion for a rule change involving deductions of penalty league points may be brought to a future AGM. (X)
Finally, as a matter of good manners, players were asked not to play practice, 5 minute, etc. games after finishing their own match games which would disturb other match games still going on.
X. The meeting was provided with a written apology and explanation Ashley Clayton had provided to the Secretary on behalf of the University, although in fairness to him it is noted that he was not either of the University captains involved Nand assisted as a far as possible when contacted, and was confident that 2015-16 would not be a problem with 2 University teams fielded.

b. Treasurer
Herbert Lockwood submitted the accounts to the meeting and drew attention to the following:
The league made a loss this year which was about the same as the surplus of the previous year.
The junior event was partly sponsored
Richard Mounce is the one to approach concerning 4NCL
The league has reserves of £2,300
The league’s financial position is secure, but the league is always open to ideas.

c. Junior Chess
Peter Cloudsdale reported:
A one day event was held at Archbishop’s Junior School on 18th May 2015. Sheila Jackson was paid for training. A good day was had with the Lord Mayor opening the event and pictures appearing in the York Press. No entry fee was charged and the event was supported by the York League with £150 from the John Robinson Fund. Notwithstanding the success of the event, we still need to get more children from schools interested. Richard Allis said he is not now available to come to junior chess and numbers have dwindled quickly. Noel Stewart and Adam Ismail were regular attenders. Adam suggested giving others a call (Richard Allis could give juniors’ parents a ring?). Peter Cloudsdale reported that only 1-2 juniors came last week and that interest in school events dwindled towards July. Noel Stewart has organised material for juniors in September 2015.

d. Chairman’s Report
Stuart Acton thanked Paul Johnson for his work as the league secretary for the past 8 years, and also thanked Richard Allis, Noel Stewart, Adam Ismail and Peter Cloudsdale for all of their work as well as general thanks to all other Committee members for their attendances. Stuart also noted that it was 45 years since Herbert Lockwood and he had started things off and Herbert had been involved in organising the accounts and various other things since.
The season had been largely uneventful thanks to the various teams and players with no disputes and terrific quality competition, if not one of the best competitions where any one of five teams could have won the league.

5. WINNERS’ AWARDS
Evening League Division 1 - Minster Inn 1
Evening League Division 2 - RI Super Knights
LTKO - University 1
Plate Competition - Scarborough B
Dave Hardcastle Trophy - Richard Allis
John Morris Trophy - Ashley Clayton

6. APPOINTMENT OF OFFICERS
Chairman - Benn Moor (taking over from Stuart Acton)
Proposed by Stuart Acton, seconded by Herbert Lockwood
Vice-chairman - Richard Allis (taking over from Benn Moor)
Proposed by Stuart Acton, seconded by Steve Whitehead
Treasurer - Herbert Lockwood to continue
Proposed by Stuart Acton, seconded by Paul Johnson
General and Fixtures secretary - Howard Brears (taking over from Paul Johnson)
Proposed by Stuart Acton, seconded by Peter Cloudsdale
Junior Chess Organisers - Peter Cloudsdale and Noel Stewart to continue.
Proposed by Richard Allis
Newsletter Editor - no nominations
Additional Officers - Bob Maltby (Brigantes) to continue, Simon Dixon (Scarborough) and Joel Wagg (University) happy to come on, RI to nominate a representative. The meeting approved all of the proposals.

7. EVENING LEAGUE CONSTITUTION AND RULE CHANGES
There were no proposals.

8. 2015-16 EVENING LEAGUE TEAM ENTRIES
Representatives indicated their clubs’ intentions to field teams as follows:
RI Kings (Benn Moor), RI Super Knights (Paul Masiak), RI Apprentices (Steve Jennings) and RI Cavaliers (Richard Hardy)
Brigantes 1 in Division 1 and Brigantes can also field 2 teams in Division 2 who can travel to Scarborough for away matches (Bob Maltby)
The University will now only have 2 teams - 1 in each division
Scarborough can put in 2 teams (1 in each Division) but don’t know how complete (5 boards may be better, and may have issues completing all away fixtures).
Howard Brears and Paul Johnson to send out entry forms to be returned by early in August.


9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
There was no other business and the meeting was concluded.
END


Howard Brears
League and Fixtures Secretary
August 2015